Thursday, May 3, 2012

Countdown: 18 Days




So this is what I'm training for.


It's a sprint triathlon, so an 18-day countdown isn't too unrealistic. There are (surprise!) 3 parts to it:


1) A 750-meter open ocean swim. I love the ocean. And as a near-lifelong swimmer and water polo player, this doesn't scare me very much. I even swam the 500 in high school, so this is not too different from something I've done a hundred times. Except it's in the ocean. And I'm way out of swim shape. In the end, it'll probably be my favorite leg of the race, but I need to get some pool time before I'm confident.


2) A 20k bike ride. Both of my parents are passionate cyclists who routinely spend their Sunday mornings riding who-knows-where for hours on end. And that's the extent of my cycling experience. So I may have some work to do.


3) A 5k run. A year ago, I would have grimaced at the word 'run' no matter how many k's sat in front of it. I belonged in the water. But ever since I spent last summer as an ocean lifeguard, I've actually come to enjoy running. Ironically, this may be the easiest part of the race for me.


And that's it! Hopefully I finish respectably and have fun doing so. Now for training:


Today (May 2):


1) 4-mile run. I ran at a moderate pace--about an 8:30 mile average. I don't want to go to slow, but I don't want to jump the gun either.


2) Leg workout. I enjoy lifting weights when I can get around to it, so why not?


That's it for today! A little boring, maybe, but things will get more exciting soon.


Until next time!


Jason

No comments:

Post a Comment